Read the latest news from Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine’s Department of Neurological Surgery. The links below take you to articles where you can learn more about our faculty’s latest achievements, awards, and honors.
- Lou Malnati Cancer Research Foundation Makes Landmark Donation to Northwestern Brain Tumor Institute12.01.2017
The Lou Malnati Cancer Research Foundation has made a transformational donation to the Northwestern Brain Tumor Institute (NBTI) to help advance medical education, collaborate on research initiatives and create innovative clinical models of care for patients with brain and spinal cord tumors. NBTI is a nationally recognized leader in the fight against brain and spinal cord tumors, offering patients the most advanced clinical trials and treatment options available. more
- 11.30.2017First patient undergoes innovative gene therapy to fight brain cancer. Read more here.
- 11.17.2017A local family is trying to bring awareness to a potentially deadly disease that predominantly strikes Hispanics. watch
"The combined spine clinic provides an improved experience for everyone,” explains Tyler Koski, MD, director of Neurosurgery Spine and co-director of the Spine Program with Dr. Patel. “Patients get access to top specialists who can easily collaborate to develop an optimized treatment plan.” Learn more here.
- 09.06.2017Date & Location
Friday, October 20, 2017 8:30 AM - 3:00 PM Northwestern Medicine Prentice Women's Hospital, Chicago, ILSpecialties
Neurology, Neurosurgery, Nurse Practitioner, Nursing, Orthopedic Surgery, Pain Medicine, Physician AssistantOverview
Please join Northwestern experts for an interactive discussion on the delivery of treatment for spinal disease, where current data in regards to the efficacy, and outcomes from surgical treatment of spinal disease will be provided.Learn more here.
Northwestern Medicine scientists are diving deep into the structure and function of ion channels to inform new therapies.
- 08.29.2017Northwestern Medicine quietly has been building out its department of neurology and neurosurgery over the past few months, hiring big names and opening new treatment and research centers in a play to boost its bottom line and move up the national rankings. Read the Crain's artile here.
- The research of Craig Horbinski, MD/PhD, et al, 'Mutant IDH1 and seizures in patients with glioma', is featured on the cover of Neurology05.16.2017
- The Department of Neurosurgery welcomes the addition of Adam M. Sonabend, MD as Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery05.04.2017
- The Department of Neurological Surgery’s participation in the Northwestern Pipeline Programs helps inspire high school students to pursue careers in medicine04.27.2017
- James Chandler, MD delivers keynote address at the Student National Medical Association’s (SNMA) Medical Education Conference04.21.2017
- Dr. Jean-Paul Wolinsky, a leading authority in spinal oncology, will be joining Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine as a Professor of Neurosurgery, and serve as the Director of Spinal Oncology at Northwestern Memorial Hospital04.10.2017
- Roger Stupp, MD is quoted in a Chicago Tribune article featuring a promising new treatment method for glioblastoma multiforme called 'tumor treating fields'04.03.2017
- Read about Zachary Smith, MD’s research titled “Radiographic markers of clinical function in Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy’ in FSM Breakthroughs03.14.2017
- Northwestern spine surgeons publish their pilot study findings from a first of its kind program of continuous real-time physical activity monitoring following spine surgery03.14.2017
- Babak Jahromi, MD appears on WGN’s Morning News to discuss Trigeminal Neuralgia in advance of the “Laugh Your Face Off” comedy fund-raiser for Trigeminal Neuralgia research02.28.2017
Dr. Babak Jahromi on WGN’s Morning News
- Neurosurgery’s C. David James, PhD, Rintaro Hashizume, MD, PhD, Craig Horbinski, MD, PhD, and Amanda Saratsis, MD are part of a NM team that has found a molecule that stops the growth of an aggressive pediatric brain tumor02.28.2017
- NM’s News Blog features Babak Jahromi, MD in Northwestern Memorial Hospital’s EMS Stroke Forum, educating paramedics on pre-hospitalization identification of stroke and acute care management02.14.2017
- Dr. Zach Smith has received a K23 award from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) for his research to uncover key markers of clinical function associated with cervical spondylotic myelopathy02.01.2017
- Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Department of Neurological Surgery ranked 8th in the nation among U.S. medical schools in funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in 201601.25.2017
- The research of Kelsey Bowman and Matthew Tate, MD, PhD, in mapping higher order cognitive functions of the brain is featured in The FSM News01.10.2017
- Pedram Golnari, PhD and Babak Jahromi, MD have been awarded the Kuo York Chynn Neuroradiology Research Award for their top-rated neuroradiology abstract presented at the 2016 RSNA meeting12.22.2016
- Orin Bloch, MD discusses the surgical technique and benefits of adaptive hybrid surgery in Chicago Magazine12.21.2016
- Craig Horbinski, MD/PhD won an award from the Sontag Foundation at the 2016 SNO Conference for his presentation titled “Mutant IDH1 promotes tumor-associated epilepsy in glioma patients”12.14.2016
- In recognition for outstanding work and expertise in her research of Gene and Drug Delivery, Dr. Irina Balyasnikova, PhD has been invited by the NIH to become a regular member of the GDD (Gene and Drug Delivery Study Section)12.06.2016
- Derek Wainwright, PhD has been awarded a 2017 Dixon Translational Research Grant for his research entitled 'Investigating the Immunotherapeutic Potential of Esophageal Cancer'11.28.2016
- Osaama H Khan, MD/MS is co-author of 'The genomic landscape of schwannoma’, published in Nature Genetics. The paper is an analysis that determines genomic aberrations common to sporadic schwannomas.11.06.2016