News and Announcements
Browse the articles below to learn more about our faculty’s latest achievements, awards and honors.
An emergency thrombectomy, which surgically removes large blood clots, may be beneficial in far more stroke patients than previously thought, according to a new trial.
- Lou Malnati Cancer Research Foundation Makes Landmark Donation to Northwestern Brain Tumor Institute12.01.2017
The Lou Malnati Cancer Research Foundation has made a transformational donation to the Northwestern Brain Tumor Institute (NBTI) to help advance medical education, collaborate on research initiatives and create innovative clinical models of care for patients with brain and spinal cord tumors. NBTI is a nationally recognized leader in the fight against brain and spinal cord tumors, offering patients the most advanced clinical trials and treatment options available. more
- 11.30.2017First patient undergoes innovative gene therapy to fight brain cancer. Read more.
- 11.17.2017A local family is trying to bring awareness to a potentially deadly disease that predominantly strikes Hispanics. watch
"The combined spine clinic provides an improved experience for everyone,” explains Tyler Koski, MD, director of Neurosurgery Spine and co-director of the Spine Program with Dr. Patel. “Patients get access to top specialists who can easily collaborate to develop an optimized treatment plan.” Learn more here.
- 09.06.2017Date & Location
Friday, October 20, 2017 8:30 AM - 3:00 PM Northwestern Medicine Prentice Women's Hospital, Chicago, ILSpecialties
Neurology, Neurosurgery, Nurse Practitioner, Nursing, Orthopedic Surgery, Pain Medicine, Physician AssistantOverview
Please join Northwestern experts for an interactive discussion on the delivery of treatment for spinal disease, where current data in regards to the efficacy, and outcomes from surgical treatment of spinal disease will be provided.Learn more here.
Northwestern Medicine scientists are diving deep into the structure and function of ion channels to inform new therapies.
- 08.29.2017Northwestern Medicine quietly has been building out its department of neurology and neurosurgery over the past few months, hiring big names and opening new treatment and research centers in a play to boost its bottom line and move up the national rankings. Read the Crain's article.
Scientists used a new approach to identify a promising therapeutic target for glioblastoma, which was previously overlooked in traditional approaches.
- The research of Craig Horbinski, MD/PhD, et al, 'Mutant IDH1 and seizures in patients with glioma', is featured on the cover of Neurology05.16.2017
- The Department of Neurosurgery welcomes the addition of Adam M. Sonabend, MD as Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery05.04.2017
- The Department of Neurological Surgery’s participation in the Northwestern Pipeline Programs helps inspire high school students to pursue careers in medicine04.27.2017
- James Chandler, MD delivers keynote address at the Student National Medical Association’s (SNMA) Medical Education Conference04.21.2017