Check this page regularly for announcements and news pertaining to academic appointment administration.
The Faculty Recruiting System (FRS) has launched for tenure track searches in FSM. Any tenure track search that receives a search number from now on will need to use the Faculty Recruiting System to collect job applications online. Beginning in spring 2018, we will need to use FRS for non-tenure track searches as well.
New resources are posted on this website:
- Revised instructions on the Pre-search Process
- The pre-search form now collects myHR department code (tenure track job openings will be posted in this department code on the NU Careers site and in FRS)
- There are new job opening ad templates posted for both tenure track and NTE searches
- There is a new Conducting a Tenure Track Faculty Search page that includes guidance on using FRS. Additional resources will be added over the coming weeks.
As a reminder, when using the FAO website, it is important to navigate it by first selecting the career track or type of appointment you are working on. Guidance and processes are customized based on the career track/appointment type, so selecting the correct appointment type is the first step to finding the right guidance.
The FSM faculty hiring plan has been approved by the Provost. The status of your positions can be viewed in the business plan database. Please note that some of your plans may require revisions from what was originally submitted in the system. Remember that business plans that have “budget approved” status in the business plan database still need to go through the pre-search process before you can begin searching. The deadlines for submitting pre-searches for your FY18 “budget approved” positions are:
- For NMG-fundedpositions, submit pre-search requests by February1, 2018
- For positionswithoutNMGfunding, submit pre-search requests by March 1, 2018
Positions with “budget approved” status that are not converted to pre-searches by the dates above will be closed in preparation for the FY19 hiring plan cycle.
Also remember that any newly approved tenure track searches will need to use Northwestern’s new Faculty Recruiting System (FRS) to receive job applications and manage the search process. Beginning in spring 2018 (don’t know an exact date yet), non-tenure-eligible searches newly approved by the Provost will also need to use FRS to manage recruitment.
Below are directions to access your hiring plan and a guide to understanding the position statuses.
VIEW YOUR HIRING PLAN (includes the complete list of positions proposed and the current status of each):
- Log into the business plan database
- Click on the “Hiring Plan Reports” link in the upper right part of the screen
- Select a department/division (if you have access to more than one department/division)
- Select “Hiring Plan by FAO# all detail” and press the “view” button (or the “Excel” button to download a spreadsheet)
- The report generated will group your positions by their current status
- Budget Approved: Positions with this status were approved on the FY18 hiring plan. However, you shouldn’t begin to search just yet! To conduct a search, you must submit a pre-search request to obtain a formal search number from the University.
- Budget Review: Plans with this status need revision before they will be approved. FSM will communicate the changes needed.
- Budget Disapproved: These positions were deferred for recruitment in FY18. You may re-propose them for consideration on the FY19 hiring plan next spring (as new budget plans), if desired.
- Pre-search Approved: You already have a search number (see the “P#/Job ID” field) and may conduct searches for these positions.
- Pre-search Review: The position is on the approved hiring plan, but the position’s financial plan and other details need approval before you will receive the search number that allows you to conduct a search.
- Pre-search Disapproved: These positions were deferred for recruitment in FY18. You may re-propose them for consideration on the FY19 hiring plan (as budget plans) next spring, if desired.
- Pre-search Closed: Formerly approved pre-searches have been closed if they are deferred for recruitment in FY18. You may re-propose them for consideration on the FY19 hiring plan (as new budget plans) next spring, if desired.
Recent Announcements by Topic
Business Plan Database
Attention NMG Clinical Departments:
Please note that the NMG Contingency Request Form is now a required document upload when submitting pre-search and offer business plans that include NMG funding. Relevant checklists have been updated to include the NMG Contingency Request Form, and your business plan will not be considered complete and forwarded on for financial review until it is uploaded.
This change has been made to streamline the review process. You will no longer need to email the NMG Contingency Request Form to NMG separately. Instead, the form will be reviewed in parallel with the FSM business plan and document uploads, and NMG’s approval of the business plan will indicate that the contingency form is approved.
Please note that the new NMG Commitments page will only display for business plans started on or after November 8, 2016. If you started a business plan before that date, the old NMG Revenue/Expense page will display. You may delete a business plan in progress and start over if you wish to display the new page.
After logging into the business plan database, look to the right side of the screen to see links to three new department status reports intended to help you better manage important steps in the recruitment process:
- Missing Final Offer Letters
- Offers Missing Candidate Decision
- Accepted Offers Pending Appointment
NU has issued new guidelines for conducting faculty searches, resulting in changes to processes and documents:
- Equity Representative on Faculty Search Committees: All faculty search committees will need to include an equity representative who is different from the search committee chair. The role of the equity representative is to ensure that best practices are followed during the search to identify underrepresented minority candidates and that an active, affirmative, and equitable search is carried out.
- Guidance for Faculty Search Committees: This new web page should be shared with faculty search committees, and administrators should review the content as well. It highlights expectations for conducting a faculty search and offers resources related to increasing the diversity of faculty applicant pools. Please incorporate these resources into the search strategy developed when completing the Pre-search Review Form.
- Pre-search Review Form: Effective immediately, when completing the pre-search process, please use this revised form, which includes an updated checklist for assembling a faculty search committee as well as a place to designate who will serve as the equity representative.
- Chair's Recommendation for Faculty Appointment: The template language for describing the search process has been revised. There are 4 sections in the search summary--Position Description, Search Strategy, Special Efforts to Identify and Encourage Women/Minority Applicants, and Search Results--each of which should be addressed separately under its corresponding section header.
The University has updated the EEO statement that should be used in all ads for faculty positions. Please incorporate this statement into all draft ads when completing the pre-search process. The new statement is:
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Administrators who have access to the FSM Faculty Database have several new reports available to better monitor faculty appointments. There are missing data reports (e.g., active faculty missing photos, tenure-eligible faculty missing a mentoring committee) and informational reports that have been commonly requested from our office (e.g., duration in current faculty rank, faculty hospital privileges, faculty with an active leave of absence). To access these and other reports:
- Log into the FSM Faculty Database using your netID and password
- Click on the "Standard Reports" link