PRE-SEARCH PROCESS for REGULAR, FULL-TIME FACULTY
The NU Provost requires a national search to identify faculty for regular, full-time faculty appointments. Authorization to search (pre-search process) is granted by the Office of the Provost; faculty search information can be found at: http://www.northwestern.edu/provost/faculty/hiring/index.html
In the Medical School, there are several phases of the pre-search process:
- Departments indicate recruiting plans as part of the annual budget process
- Following FSM review, Department plans are incorporated into the FSM Faculty Hiring Plan. When the FSM plan is approved by the Provost, Faculty Affairs will notify each Department.
- The pre-search process is initiated by the Department to obtain an authorized search number (P# for non-tenure-eligible positions and Job ID# for tenure-track positions)
Required pre-search documents:
Completed and signed Pre-Search Form (PDF file)
- The Pre-Search Review Form for Faculty/Academic Vacancy (blank form found at: http://www.northwestern.edu/provost/faculty/hiring/presearch.pdf) signed by the Search Committee Chair and Department Chair)
Chair's letter of request (PDF or Word file)
- If your pre-search request is for a position that was NOT included on the approved FSM hiring plan, please indicate this in the chair's letter and information supporting "why".
- (See sample chair's letter in "sample letter" section)
Ad (Word file preferred; PDF file acceptable)
Your ad must include:
- Brief statement of duties
- Minimum objective qualifications (i.e., degrees and experience requirements); other desirable qualifications
- Rank and/or title; salary range or minimum. List if any of these items are "open" or negotiable
- Time status: full or part-time; term: specify the length of appointment
- Proposed start date
- Closing date for receipt of applications (or the statement "In order to ensure full consideration, application must be received by [date].")
- Name and address of the contact person
- Policy statement: "Northwestern University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply."
Optional: position description
- Enter your business plan on-line into the faculty database: https://fsmweb.northwestern.edu/fao/admin/. Contact Marcie Weiss, firstname.lastname@example.org, 312/503-8103 for access and Lorraine Padour, email@example.com, 312/503-5074, for training/questions).
- Upload the above 3 required documents (Pre-Search Form, Chair's letter, and Ad)
- Your business plan & pre-search documents will be reviewed by FAO, Deans, NMFF, etc. as appropriate. If reviewers have questions/need more info you'll receive an email request from that reviewer.
- When approved at the FSM-level, we'll print your documents for Dr. Lowe to sign approval, and they'll be sent or posted for the Provost's final review & assignment of the authorized P# or Job ID#.
- You'll receive a notice when the provost approves, and you can begin advertising the position (the Provost encourages you to include the authorization # in your ad).
- NO NEED TO SUBMIT THESE DOCUMENTS VIA PAPER!
- NO NEED TO NOTIFY FAO OF A NEW PRE-SEARCH REQUEST (system will automatically alert FAO)
- TRACK THE STATUS OF THE REVIEW/APPROVAL PROCESS ON-LINE
This page last updated Jan 28, 2013