Focus of Work
My clinical interests are in pediatric neuromuscular disorders that include, but are not limited to, spinal muscular atrophy, muscular dystrophy, myasthenia and neuropathy. Running collaborative clinical trials and identifying biomarkers with good reliability and validity characteristics has been a primary focus.
Evolving the field of neuromuscular education at all levels of training, including pediatrics, neurology and neuromuscular medicine. Medical student understanding of non medical barriers to medical care and social determinants of health.
Developing natural history databases and bio-banking initiatives for pediatric neuromuscular medicine.
Neuromuscular DisordersPediatric NeurologySpinal Muscular AtrophyMuscular DystrophyPeripheral NeuropathyEMG
Education and Certification
- MBBS: B.J. Medical College, Medicine and Surgery (2000)
- MS: University of Tennessee, Biomedical Engineering (2003)
- Internship: Stroger Cook County Hospital, Pediatrics (2009)
- Residency: Northwestern University, McGaw Medical Center (Children’s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois), Child Neurology (2013)
- Fellowship: Northwestern University, McGaw Medical Center (Children’s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois), Neuromuscular Medicine (2014)
Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago Box 51
225 E Chicago Avenue
Chicago IL 60611
Visit Vamshi K Rao's Northwestern Scholars Profile to see the list of publications.