McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
The McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University is a consortium of urban, suburban, specialized, and general hospitals and the University. Chartered in 1966 and honoring the generosity of the late Foster G. and Mary McGaw, the center presents a greater range of clinical and research experiences than individual teaching hospitals are able to provide. The various hospitals support both independent and cooperative programs. Almost all members of the medical staffs have faculty appointments at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine and serve as important links between medical education and medical practice. The McGaw Medical Center institutions are
Northwestern is a major private research university founded in 1851. It has an annual enrollment of about 18,000 students in 12 undergraduate, graduate, and professional schools on two lakefront campuses in Evanston and Chicago. The medical school is located on the Chicago campus, close to several hospitals of the McGaw Medical Center.
With 265 beds, Children's Memorial Hospital is the medical school's primary pediatric teaching institution. It is located three miles north of the University's Chicago campus in the Lincoln Park area. Founded in 1882 as a free-care hospital for critically ill children, Children's Memorial has become a referral center that attracts patients from around the world. Begun in 1984, the Children's Memorial Research Center has evolved as the Midwest's only institution devoted exclusively to pediatric medical research.
In 1999 Northwestern Memorial, one of the largest private hospitals in Illinois, opened a $650-million inpatient pavilion and ambulatory care facility, the latter portion in partnership with the Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation. Located on the Chicago campus, the 744-bed hospital also includes the Stone Institute of Psychiatry and Prentice Women's Hospital and Maternity Center. The hospital serves a population that is an ethnic and socioeconomic cross-section of the city.
Established in 1954, the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC) is the world's largest free-standing hospital especially designed for patient care, education, and research in physical medicine and rehabilitation. RIC has been recognized as the "Best Rehabilitation Hospital in America" since 1991 by U.S. News & World Report. RIC works to improve quality of life for people with physical disabilities through patient care services, advocacy, and community outreach efforts. In addition to its flagship hospital on the medical school's Chicago campus, which has an inpatient capacity of 155 beds and serves about 200 outpatients daily, RIC operates a network of day-rehabilitation centers and outpatient centers throughout the city and surrounding suburbs. It also maintains strategic alliances with other health care providers throughout Illinois and north central Indiana.
John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital is part of the Cook County Bureau of Health Services, the largest component of the safety net for healthcare in Chicago and suburban Cook County. The hospital is located in Chicago's near west side. Residents from Northwestern McGaw train in obstetrics and gynecology, urology, neurosurgery, ENT and orthopaedics.
The MacNeal Health Network serves the healthcare needs of more than 1 million people in the near west and southwest suburbs of Chicago. Along with MacNeal Hospital, their network is comprised of 10 primary care centers, a resource library, a school for at-risk children and many other programs. The fully accredited teaching hospital offers community-based general surgery training for Northwestern McGaw and students for Feinberg.
Methodist Hospitals is a not-for-profit, community-based healthcare system that is governed by a 20-member board of directors. Their primary service areas are Lake and Porter Counties in Indiana, and their network includes two full-service campuses, two outpatient centers and a rehabilitation center. Three positions in emergency medicine at their Gary, Indiana campus provide Northwestern McGaw residents with community hospital experience.
Northwestern McGaw’s new Family Medicine Residency program is located at Norwegian American Hospital, a 200-bed, acute-care facility in Humboldt Park. The program, a partnership between the hospital, Erie Family Health Center, and the Feinberg School’s Department of Family and Community Medicine, with additional support from Northwestern Memorial Hospital, trains family physicians with an emphasis on caring for the underserved, research, and public policy.