Salary & Benefits
Stipends for anesthesiology residents/fellows are determined by the Office of Graduate Medical Education and are as follows for the 2012-2013 academic year:
PGY-1, $50,473PGY-2, $52,464PGY-3, $54,981PGY-4, $58,108PGY 5, $59,932PGY 6, $61,51Residents and Fellows based at Northwestern or Prentice Memorial Hospitals receive the following benefits:
- PGY-2 and 3 residents receive a combined $1000 educational expense account to purchase textbooks, e-books, apps, or a tablet device.
- PGY-4 residents receive a $1550 educational expense account to pay for their entire ABA written examination application fees.
- All fellows except Cardiothoracic and Regional Fellows receive a $500 educational expense account to purchase textbooks, e-books, apps, or a tablet device.
- The department pays for airfare, lodging, meals, and the registration fee for residents and fellows attending the Midwestern Anesthesiology Resident Conference (MARC).
- The department pays airfare, lodging, meals, and the registration fee when residents or fellows present their abstract at a national meeting/conference. The department pays for airfare, lodging, meals and the registration fee for fellows who attend one of the following meetings: ASA, SCCM, SOCCA, ASRA, SAMBA, SNACC, SCA, SPA, or SOAP.
- BLS, PALS & ACLS (re)certification training provided
- Membership to the International Anesthesia Research Society (IARS):
- iPad and Online subscription to Anesthesia & Analgesia, the most widely used clinical anesthesiology journal, including access to the complete archive
- Access to all the learning tools of OpenAnesthesia: our wiki format graduate medical education website featuring important tools such as "A&A Article of the Month," "Ask The Experts" podcast interviews, "Review Question of the Week," "Intraoperative TEE Case of the Month," and anesthesiology keyword definitions
- Membership to the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) and subscription to Anesthesiology
Vacation & CME Time per training year
- PGY-1 year: 3 weeks paid vacation and 2 weeks sick time
- PGY-2 thru 5 years: 4 weeks paid vacation and 2 weeks sick time
- 1 week of pay when attending a CME course
Health & Family
- River East Club (operated by LA Fitness: $372/year for housestaff
- Discounted, On-Campus Child Care Center
- Medical plan: BlueCross BlueShield PPO plan
- Dental: BlueCross BlueShield HMO Plan or BlueCross BlueShield PPO Plan
- Life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment plan
- Long-term disability plan
- Health care spending account
- Dependent care spending account
- New Innovations- Internet resident and faculty evaluation system
- Secured Access to patient medical information from home/outside hospital
- New personal computers with flat screen monitors and Internet connection in resident library located on same floor as operating rooms
- Computers in every operating room
- Free University e-mail account
- PowerChart—orders and results retrieval system
- PACS—Picture Archive and Communication Systems
- Alphanumeric Paging System
- Simulation Training Center for resident education
- $14.00 meal stipend per overnight call
- $94.00 monthly discounted parking at Northwestern parking garage for housestaff who live outside the downtown quadrant of Bellevue Avenue to the North, Wells Street to the West and Washington Street to the South.
- Lunch provided at Introductory Lectures (six weeks) and breakfast served during all resident conferences
- Housestaff Lounge w/ flat screen tv, microwave, and refrigerator
- Discounted passes to movie theatres and Six Flags
- Full-service bank located in hospital building
McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
GME policies & procedures, including evaluation, discipline, due process,and termination